Navy Enlisted Rating (Job) Descriptions explained by professional Forex trading experts the “ForexSQ” FX trading team.
Navy Enlisted Rating (Job) Descriptions
GSMs operate, repair and perform organizational and intermediate maintenance on mechanical components of gas turbine engines, main propulsion machinery including gears, shafts, and controllable pitch propellers; and assigned auxiliary equipment and propulsion control systems.
The duties performed by GSMs include:
- maintaining and repairing gas turbine engines and auxiliary equipment;
- working with blueprints, schematics, and charts;
- performing administrative procedures related to gas turbine propulsion system operation and maintenance;
- performing work area inspections;
- testing lubricating oil and distillate fuels for contamination, neutralization, and precipitation;
- operating standard test equipment;
- stopping engines and checking proper performance;
- replacing and adjusting operating tolerance of contacts, microswitches, relay switches, pressure switches and temperature switches;
- operating electric plant control and main propulsion equipment;
- operating pumps, turning gear, air compressors, oil purification system, low pressure air dehydrators and engineering control systems;
- performing preventive maintenance on ship’s fuel system and air system;
- maintaining sea water service system, waste drain system, oil purification system and manually operated valves;
- using hoisting and lifting devices and maintaining special tools;
maintaining and operating ship’s service gas turbine generators and support systems;
- maintaining and controlling ship’s service steam water chemistry;
- maintaining the controllable pitch propeller system.
Gas turbine systems technicians usually work in engine rooms or shops that may be hot and noisy aboard many types of modern ships. At shore, they may work at major repair or training facilities.
Work is physical and analytical (trouble-shooting) for electronic components.
A-School (Job School) Information
Great Lakes, IL — 8 weeks
ASVAB Score Requirement: VE + AR + MK + AS = 195 or VE + AR + MK + AO = 200
Security Clearance Requirement: None
Must have normal color perception
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for GS
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating’s manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 60 months
- First Shore Tour: 36 months
- Second Sea Tour: 60 months
- Second Shore Tour: 36 months
- Third Sea Tour: 48 months
- Third Shore Tour: 36 months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 48 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
This is a sea-intensive community. Manning conditions at sea may require the need to request sea tour extension or shore tour curtailments to ensure all sea duty billets are filled.
Navy Enlisted Rating (Job) Descriptions Conclusion
For more information about currency trading brokers visit TopForexBrokers.com Forex brokers comparison website, Tip ForexSQ.com foreign exchange trading experts please by share this article about Navy Enlisted Rating (Job) Descriptions.