The Largest U.S. Retail Grocery Store Chains in 2013 explained by professional Forex trading experts the “ForexSQ” FX trading team.
The Largest U.S. Retail Grocery Store Chains in 2013
According to the newest global report, 32 of the 100 largest retail chains in the world are supermarket and grocery store chains. In the U.S., 20% of the retail chains that are the largest in the world are grocery store and supermarket chains. This shows the power of the supermarket and grocery store retailers in the U.S. despite the pressure that the major hypermarket and warehouse chains like Wal-Mart and Target, Costco, that are aggressively working to steal a substantial piece of the retail grocery market share.
Comparing the 2013 Largest U.S. Supermarkets and Grocery Store Chain list with the 2012 list published by Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and STORES Magazine, there are a surprising number of ranking changes and those changes are notably substantial. Some of the most notable changes with the largest U.S. supermarkets and grocery store chains include:
- Kroger moved up one position to become the fifth largest retail chain in the world. While this may not seem like much of a significant improvement, it is no small feat to overtake Germany’s largest discount store chain and widen the lead with the Costco Wholesale chain, which also sells a significant amount of groceries and food products.
- Whole Foods moved up nine ranking positions on the world’s largest retail list in 2012 and continued the upward trend by rising 5 spots on the 2013 largest retailers global rankings. Whole Foods is now in the top 100 of largest retail chains in the world.
- Wegmans rose 7 positions in the global largest retail rankings and moved ahead of Winn-Dixie in the largest U.S. grocery store and supermarket chain rankings.
- As a residual result of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Great Atlantic & Pacific fell 28 international rankings and now Hy-Vee, Casey’s General Stores and The Pantry are all larger retail chains than A&P stores.
- Save Mart SaveMart fell 31 positions in the global rankings, and the chain is now behind Wawa, Sheetz, WinCo Foods in annual sales revenue.
- After losing 24 positions in last year’s Global Powers of Retail rankings, Albertson’sfell additional positions in the 2013 retail grocery store rankings.
- Continuing a downward trend, Roudy’s fell 14 positions in the largest global retailer rankings.
What follows is the complete list of U.S. supermarket retail chains ranked on the 2013 Global Powers of Retailing list. According to their reported revenue figures for 2011, these supermarket chains were ranked as the “biggest” because they had the highest annual sales figures. In this complete list of the largest U.S. supermarket chains, the number in the left column is the global ranking number assigned to the company, when its revenue is compared to other top retail companies worldwide.
2013 Largest U.S. Retail Supermarket and Grocery Store Chains – Biggest and Best Food Retailers:
5 The Kroger Company
- Kroger Jobs and Careers
- Kroger Stores Retail Website
- Investors Information for Safeway (SWY)
- Safeway Jobs and Careers
- Safeway Stores Retail Website
- Investors Information for SuperValu (SVU)
- SuperValu Jobs and Careers
- SuperValu Stores Retail Website
- Investors Information for Publix
- Publix Jobs and Careers
- Publix Stores Retail Website
51 H.E. Butt Grocery Company
- H-E-B Jobs and Careers
- H-E-B Stores Retail Website
99 Whole Foods Market
- Investors Information for Whole Foods Market (WFM)
- Whole Foods Jobs and Careers
- Whole Foods Retail Website
108 Giant Eagle
- Giant Eagle Jobs and Careers
- Giant Eagle Stores Retail Website
- Hy-Vee Jobs and Careers
- Hy-Vee Consumer Website
143 The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company
- Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Consumer Website
149 Wegmans Food Markets
- Wegmans Jobs and Careers
- Wegmans Consumer Website
176 WinCo Foods
- WinCo Foods Jobs and Careers
- WinCo Foods Comsumer Website
197 Save Mart Supermarkets
- Save Mart Supermarkets Jobs and Careers
- Save Mart Supermarkets Consumer Website
211 Ruddick Corp. / Harris Teeter
- Ruddick Corp. / Harris Teeter Jobs and Careers
- Ruddick Corp. / Harris Teeter Retail Website
- Albertson’s Jobs and Careers
- Albertson’s Retail Website
239 Roundy’s Supermarkets
- Investors Information for Roundy’s Supermarkets (RNDY)
- Roundy’s Supermarkets Jobs and Careers
- Roundy’s Supermarkets Retail Website
Find the current research, statistics, facts, and employment details about the supermarket sector of the U.S. retail industry in these articles:
- Best U.S. Supermarket Chains
- Worst U.S. Supermarket Chains
- Current Job Openings at the Largest U.S. Supermarkets
- Employee Benefits at the Largest U.S. Supermarkets
The Largest U.S. Retail Grocery Store Chains in 2013 Conclusion
For more information about currency trading brokers visit TopForexBrokers.com Forex brokers comparison website, Tip ForexSQ.com foreign exchange trading experts please by share this article about The Largest U.S. Retail Grocery Store Chains in 2013.