Forget GDP, it doesn‚Äôt tell the whole story about a country‚Äôs economy. Focus instead on these economic indicators: electricity consumption, rail cargo and bank loans.
This is apparently what Li Keqiang, expected to take over as premier in China‚Äô leadership transition, said at a meeting with the U.S. ambassador in 2007, according to a Wikileaks cable.
The Chinese GDP figure is ‚Äúman-made‚ÄĚ and for ‚Äúreference only,‚ÄĚ he was quoted as saying.
While it‚Äôs not clear whether Li stands by these views, economists say it is fair to treat the Chinese gross domestic product (GDP) with some caution.
The latest data shows China‚Äôs economy grew 7.4 percent in third quarter from a year earlier, putting the economy on course for its slowest annual expansion in 13 years at a rate of about 7.5 percent.
‚ÄúIt would not surprise us if GDP growth is overstated‚ÄĒthe economy is likely far weaker than it appears,‚ÄĚ said Alistair Thornton, China economist with IHS Global Insight in Beijing.
- 1Dollar Heads for Longest Rally Since 1967 on Divergence
- 1'Hundreds of thousands' of orders placed for Alibaba in debut: NYSE
- 1Stocks Rise as Investors Await Alibaba to Begin Trading
- 1Alibaba Indicated to Open Higher After Record U.S. IPO
- 1Cantor: ‚ÄėBuy‚Äô Alibaba shares after IPO
- 1Markets rally as Scotland votes to stay | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Yellen says poor Americans live in ‚Äėsobering‚Äô conditions
- 2Pound rises to two-year high against euro
- 2Pound 2-Year High Shows Bets Scotland Votes ‚ÄėNo‚Äô
- 2U.S. Stocks Climb on Fed Optimism, Lower Jobless Claims
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen