China's ruling Communist Party is preparing to shuffle its top ranks, an opaque process that will affect the country's economy and stability for years to come.
The transition, set to start just two days after Americans go to the polls, will set a new cast for the powerful Politburo Standing Committee -- a small group of officials who will wield tremendous power over China's tightly-controlled economy for years to come.
That economy, the world's second largest, has sprinted to prominence over the past three decades with year after year of sustained 10% growth.
But China's economic growth has slowed recently. In the third quarter, the government reported GDP expansion of only 7.4%. The economy's performance, while not a disaster, was still the slowest quarterly growth posted in years and underscored concerns about the sustainability of Beijing's model.
At the heart of these concerns is a set of structural problems, all of which require reforms that the previous party leadership -- divided over policy -- was unable to complete.
- 2While You Were Getting Worked Up Over Oil Prices, This Just Happened to Solar
- 2U.S. Stocks Fluctuate as Visa Rallies Amid GDP, Jobless Data
- 2Greeceâ€™s Euro Dilemma Is Back as Minister Sees Volatility
- 2Expecting U.S. Growth to Slow? REIT Pair Trade Pays 1.6%
- 2U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade
- 2U.S. jobless claims rise, but underlying labor market trends firming
- 2Dollar Gains as Central Banks Give Green Light to Buy
- 2Great time to load up on stocks, unless you buy into the post-QE disaster scenario
- 2Fed ends 6-year effort to stimulate economy | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Ruble Weakens to Record on Concern Russia to Expedite Free Float
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound s&p 500 spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen