forexsq - The yen touched the lowest level in almost seven months as the Bank of Japan holds a two-day meeting amid speculation the opposition party that advocates more aggressive easing will take power in Decemberâ€™s election.
Japanâ€™s currency dropped against most major counterparts after Liberal Democratic Party leader Shinzo Abe was reported to have said heâ€™ll choose someone in favor of inflation targets as the next BOJ governor. Demand for the euro was limited before European finance ministers gather in Brussels tomorrow. Australiaâ€™s dollar climbed as gains in Asian shares boosted demand for higher-yielding assets.
â€śWhatâ€™s going on in Japanese politics is probably a more important driver for the yen, at least in the near term, and that can see it weakening,â€ť said Joseph Capurso, a currency strategist in Sydney at Commonwealth Bank of Australia. â€śIn the medium term, you can get these knee-jerk reactionsâ€ť to BOJ easing signals, he said.
- 2Why one economist says no recession until at least 2016
- 2Pound rises against the dollar after U.K. GDP data
- 2Pound Halts Three-Day Drop as U.K. Growth Meets Estimates
- 2Deutsche Bank Said to Have Passed ECB Stress Test
- 2Amazon CEO Bezos Faces Season of Worsts as Losses Mount
- 3U.S. Stocks Extend Rally on Earnings; Dollar Declines
- 3Fedâ€™s $4 Trillion Holdings to Boost Growth Beyond End of QE
- 3ECB Set to Fail 25 Banks in Review, Draft Document Shows
- 4Gold Rises From 1-Week Low as Investors Assess Economy
- 3Wall St. little changed as Microsoft offsets Amazon
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound s&p 500 spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen