forexsq - The U.S. dollar was little changed versus major rivals in thin trade Friday, with euro bulls and bears fighting to a standstill ahead of potentially market-moving September nonfarm payrolls data.
The ICE dollar index , which measures the U.S. unit against a basket of six major rivals, edged up to 79.390 from 79.376 in North American trade late Thursday.
The euro fetched $1.3007, little changed from $1.3015. The British pound traded at $1.6178 versus $1.6188 on Thursday.
With the currency pair â€śflatlining during the Asia session this just adds to the air of nervousness ahead of the U.S. employment report later today. As always, this release brings the potential for volatility,â€ť Smith said.
Five of the past six releases have come in softer than expected, which has tended to push the dollar lower, he said.
The Labor Department will release the data at 8:30 a.m. Eastern time. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch predict the U.S. economy gained 110,000 jobs last month, while the unemployment rate is expected to tick up to 8.2% from 8.1%. forex
- 2While You Were Getting Worked Up Over Oil Prices, This Just Happened to Solar
- 2U.S. Stocks Fluctuate as Visa Rallies Amid GDP, Jobless Data
- 2Greeceâ€™s Euro Dilemma Is Back as Minister Sees Volatility
- 2Expecting U.S. Growth to Slow? REIT Pair Trade Pays 1.6%
- 2U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade
- 2U.S. jobless claims rise, but underlying labor market trends firming
- 2Dollar Gains as Central Banks Give Green Light to Buy
- 2Great time to load up on stocks, unless you buy into the post-QE disaster scenario
- 2Fed ends 6-year effort to stimulate economy | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Ruble Weakens to Record on Concern Russia to Expedite Free Float
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound s&p 500 spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen