forexsq - The U.S. dollar was little changed versus major rivals in thin trade Friday, with euro bulls and bears fighting to a standstill ahead of potentially market-moving September nonfarm payrolls data.
The ICE dollar index , which measures the U.S. unit against a basket of six major rivals, edged up to 79.390 from 79.376 in North American trade late Thursday.
The euro fetched $1.3007, little changed from $1.3015. The British pound traded at $1.6178 versus $1.6188 on Thursday.
With the currency pair â€śflatlining during the Asia session this just adds to the air of nervousness ahead of the U.S. employment report later today. As always, this release brings the potential for volatility,â€ť Smith said.
Five of the past six releases have come in softer than expected, which has tended to push the dollar lower, he said.
The Labor Department will release the data at 8:30 a.m. Eastern time. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch predict the U.S. economy gained 110,000 jobs last month, while the unemployment rate is expected to tick up to 8.2% from 8.1%. forex
- 2U.S. stocks open lower; Dow falls below 17,000
- 2S&P 500 Earnings Top Estimates at 77% Pace Led by Ford
- 2U.S. Stocks Decline as Amazon, Visa Results Miss Forecast
- 2Gold Gains From 5-Week Low as Prices Near Technical Level
- 2Dollar Rises to Highest in Month as U.S. Outperforms
- 2U.S. durable goods orders rebound, core capital goods rise
- 2Focus on sterling Currency | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Pound falls as U.K. retail-sales data disappoint
- 2Donâ€™t Tell Anybody About This Story on HFT Power Jump Trading
- 2S&P 500 Extends Record on Facebook Rally Amid Earnings
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf japan obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen