forexsq - Sterling hit a five-week high against the euro on Thursday as the Bank of England left interest rates and the size of its bond-buying programme unchanged.
The decision had been broadly expected after recent stronger-than-expected UK third quarter growth figures but traders said the pound rose because some investors had positioned for the risk of the BoE opting for more stimulus.
"There was a little bit of expectation that they were going to opt for more QE (quantitative easing) because of weaker October data," said Kathleen Brooks, research director at Forex.com, attributing the rise of the pound to the BoE's decision to hold fire.
"Meeting minutes are going to be very important as is the Inflation Report ... it seems sterling/dollar is probably going to remain rangebound until the release of those reports."
The euro fell 0.3 percent to 79.605 pence, its lowest since Oct. 1. Further weakness could take the euro towards its late September low of 79.23 pence.
Against the dollar, the pound was flat at around $1.5980 , recovering from an earlier two-week low of $1.5930. Traders reported offers above $1.60 which may limit any gains. forex
- 1Dollar Heads for Longest Rally Since 1967 on Divergence
- 1'Hundreds of thousands' of orders placed for Alibaba in debut: NYSE
- 1Stocks Rise as Investors Await Alibaba to Begin Trading
- 1Alibaba Indicated to Open Higher After Record U.S. IPO
- 1Cantor: â€˜Buyâ€™ Alibaba shares after IPO
- 1Markets rally as Scotland votes to stay | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Yellen says poor Americans live in â€˜soberingâ€™ conditions
- 2Pound rises to two-year high against euro
- 2Pound 2-Year High Shows Bets Scotland Votes â€˜Noâ€™
- 2U.S. Stocks Climb on Fed Optimism, Lower Jobless Claims
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen