The euro slid to a two-month low against the dollar and the weakest level in almost a month versus the yen as a drop in French industrial production added to speculation Europeâ€™s economic outlook is worsening.
The 17-nation currency headed for weekly declines against the yen and greenback as Greek lawmakers prepare to vote Nov. 11 on next yearâ€™s budget. The euro pared losses after U.S. consumer confidence climbed to a five-year high. Swedenâ€™s krona tumbled against all of its 16 most-traded counterparts, and Brazilâ€™s real fell to a four-month low versus the greenback.
â€śIt doesnâ€™t really come as a surprise that there are growth concerns in Europe -- they are in a recession -- but the contraction looks like it may be deeper,â€ť said Eric Viloria, senior currency strategist for Gain Capital Group LLC in New York. â€śItâ€™s going to add to negativity and weigh on the euro.â€ť forex
- 2Chicago PMI drops sharply in July
- 2U.S. Could Move to Sanction Russia Derivatives, Short-Term Funds
- 2U.S. Stocks Slide as Exxon, Whole Foods Fall on Results
- 2U.S. jobless claims up, wage growth starting to push higher | Top Forex Brokers
- 2Jobless Claims in U.S. in Past Month Drop to Eight-Year Low
- 3Stock market live blog: Dow erases gain, but S&P still up; Fed statement fears get the blame
- 2Economy in U.S. Grows More Than Forecast
- 2Treasuries Drop, Metals Rise After GDP; Stocks Pare Gains
- 2Dollar Rises to 4-Month High as U.S. GDP Tops Forecasts
- 2ADP Says Companies in U.S. Boosted Payrolls by 218,000
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf japan obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen