A fire in a nightclub killed at least 245 people in southern Brazil on Sunday when a band's pyrotechnics show set the building ablaze and fleeing patrons were unable to find the emergency exits in the ensuing panic, officials said.
The blaze in the southern city of Santa Maria was started when a band member or someone from its production team ignited a flare, which then set fire to the ceiling, said Luiza Sousa, a civil police official. The fire spread "in seconds," she said.
An estimated 500 people were in the Boate Kiss nightclub when the fire broke out early on Sunday, and many were unable to find the exits as dark smoke quickly filled the room. At least one exit was locked, trapping hundreds inside to die, many from asphyxiation as they inhaled smoke, police said.
- 1Why one economist says no recession until at least 2016
- 1Pound rises against the dollar after U.K. GDP data
- 1Pound Halts Three-Day Drop as U.K. Growth Meets Estimates
- 1Deutsche Bank Said to Have Passed ECB Stress Test
- 1Amazon CEO Bezos Faces Season of Worsts as Losses Mount
- 2U.S. Stocks Extend Rally on Earnings; Dollar Declines
- 2Fedâ€™s $4 Trillion Holdings to Boost Growth Beyond End of QE
- 2ECB Set to Fail 25 Banks in Review, Draft Document Shows
- 3Gold Rises From 1-Week Low as Investors Assess Economy
- 3Wall St. little changed as Microsoft offsets Amazon
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound s&p 500 spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen