A fire in a nightclub killed at least 245 people in southern Brazil on Sunday when a band's pyrotechnics show set the building ablaze and fleeing patrons were unable to find the emergency exits in the ensuing panic, officials said.
The blaze in the southern city of Santa Maria was started when a band member or someone from its production team ignited a flare, which then set fire to the ceiling, said Luiza Sousa, a civil police official. The fire spread "in seconds," she said.
An estimated 500 people were in the Boate Kiss nightclub when the fire broke out early on Sunday, and many were unable to find the exits as dark smoke quickly filled the room. At least one exit was locked, trapping hundreds inside to die, many from asphyxiation as they inhaled smoke, police said.
- 1Dollar climbs against yen, pound
- 1Apple Probes Report ICloud Was Hacked to Gain Stars privet photos
- 1U.S. Stocks Fluctuate Near Record Before Factory Data
- 1Dollar General sweetens Family Dollar bid, may go hostile
- 1Dollar Gains to 7-Month High on Outlook for U.S. Economy | Top Forex Brokers
- 3Putinâ€™s Money Beats Sanctions in Russian Bank Bond Market
- 3European Bonds Rise on Factory Data; Ruble at Record Low
- 3Dollar rises slightly against yen, euro with investors on pause
- 3Euro Touches One-Year Low Versus Dollar | Top Forex Brokers
- 3Ukraine Fighting Surges as Russian-Backed Forces Gain
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen