Pope Francis, barely 12 hours after his election, quietly left the Vatican early on Thursday to pray for guidance as he looks to usher a Roman Catholic Church mired in intrigue and scandal into a new age of simplicity and humility.
Francis, the Argentinian cardinal who has become the first pope born outside Europe in 1,300 years, went to Rome's 5th-century Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore; there he prayed before a famed icon of Mary, the mother of Jesus, which is known as the Salus Populi Romani, or Protectress of the Roman People
- 3Sterling Dips after BoE Minutes | Top Forex Brokers
- 3Brent Crude Rises as Ukraine Fighting Intensifies
- 1Gold Holds Above Three-Day Low as Ukraine to U.S. Weighed
- 2Two Ukraine Fighter Jets Downed by Rebels Near MH17 Site
- 2Aussie Climbs on Inflation as Emerging Currencies Rally
- 2NY Fed found serious problems at Deutsche Bank's U.S. arms: source
- 2Bank of England Monetary Policy Meeting Minutes
- 5For stocks, Dow 20,000â€”then a crash?
- 4Consumer prices rise in June as gasoline prices jump
- 4FxPro Safety of Client Funds | Top Forex Brokers
Become Our Fan
apple asia stocks asian stocks australian dollar bernanke boj china dollar draghi ecb economy eur eur/usd euro euro zone europe stocks european central bank european stocks eurozone eurusd facebook fed federal reserve forex forex news forex trading fx gbp/usd gold google greece imf obama oil pound spain stock stock market stocks swiss franc u.s dollar u.s. dollar u.s. economy u.s. stock u.s. stock futures u.s. stocks us dollar usd wall street yen